Villa de San Agustin de Laredo was founded in 1755 by Don Tomás Sánchez while the area was part of the Nuevo Santander region in the Spanish colony of New Spain. In 1840, Laredo was the capital of the independent Republic of the Rio Grande but was taken back by Mexico. In 1846, after the Mexican-American War under the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo ceded the land to the United States. Laredo was re-chartered as a city in 1852. Laredo is one of the oldest crossing points along the U.S.-Mexico border, and the nation's largest inland port of entry. In 2005, Laredo celebrated the 250th anniversary of its founding.